Footprint Log Homes is committed to you and your dream of Log Home ownership, our mission is to assist you in turning your dreams into reality.
The planning and construction process for building a Log or Timber Frame home
If you are planning to build a log or timber frame home you will find that much of the work starts before construction ever begins. It is important to do your research beforehand to prevent problems and confusion down the road. We offer the following suggestions for prospective log or timber frame home owners.
The planning process assuming you already have your property
- Do your homework so that when you decide on the company that will provide your log or timber frame home it is an educated decision based on sound research.
- Initiate contact with each company; this should be followed up by a visit to their model home or show room to discuss your project in detail. If this is not possible this can be remedied with phone calls and emails.
- After discussing options and reviewing plans ask for a free no-obligation quote. Typically you should have a quote within 10 business days.
- Once you finalize the company that will provide your home package initiate contract actions. At this point you are beginning to plan site visits, meets with contractors and arrange for the infrastructure (Well, Road, and Septic)
- Approximately 2 weeks after ordering the home you should receive the first set on preliminary drawings. At this point you will see your home scaled out on paper for the first time. Plans need to be reviewed and resubmited for changes (if needed). Remember,this is why you are building a custom home – to meet your specific needs/desires!
- Approximately 2 weeks later, revised plans should be back for review. If you like what you see you will sign off to go to full construction/engineered drawings.( note: this process could take longer if you need more changes/revisions)
- About 6 weeks later you will receive stamped/engineered plans. You and/or your builder will then apply for building permits.
This process will get you to the point in design where you are ready to start the construction of the home; this time-frame is typically around 4 months on an average. However, it can be much faster if you choose a standard plan that does not need much, if any, alteration. Obviously it can also take longer if your require several rounds of plan changes.
The construction process
Once your home package has been delivered the construction time-frame will depend on many issues. For our purpose of providing a simple estimate, lets use the typical purchase of a 2,000 sq. ft. log home built on a daylight (walkout) basement where the builder was hired to complete the home to a turnkey finish.
- Excavation/footings/basement/sub floor: Allow 4-6 weeks
- Typically construction of a non pre-cut weather-tight package takes between 10-12 weeks
- With the Footprint 100% pre-cut log wall system the construction time-frame to complete the weather-tight shell is reduced to 6-8 weeks, depending on the size of the house thereby saving 2-4 weeks of construction costs.
- Completion of the interior – utilities/drywall/trim/floor coverings, allow 3-4 months.
- The overall time-frame for the average project is between 6-8 months.
None of these time estimates however, are set in stone. Each one depends on many factors such as weather conditions, size of crew, unforeseen obstacles etc. These are things that you and your builder must work through together.
Featured Floor Plan: McKinley
Click for details
Bedrooms: 4 + loft
Square Footage: 4,878
The 4,878 sq. ft. McKinley offers luxurious living on a grand scale. An open ﬂoor plan takes advantage of cathedral ceilings and expansive views.
The ground level includes a kitchen, open living area and separate master bedroom with en-suite bathroom. Optional decks extend the living space around the home.
The second ﬂoor offers loft space, plus two more bedrooms. An attached two-car garage also offers the option of a separate apartment on the second ﬂoor.
As with any of our plans, this is just a concept and we can customize to suit your needs.
Come and visit us at the Log and Timber Home Show in Denver, Colorado where we can discuss your plans for the home of your dreams.
September 29-Oct 1st at the Denver Mart
Booth number 127
The content of this newsletter represents the opinions of Footprint Log Homes based on our previous experiences. Because every home and every homeowner is unique, we cannot guarantee that your experience will be the same.
Our Manufacturer’s 60,000 sq/ft facility is located in the interior of British Columbia, Canada. This spectacular location provides excellent access to both the highest quality Douglas Fir and Western Red Cedar and world-class shipping facilities.